10.9.08

Alicia

I meant to do this yesterday, but I wasn't on the computer all day. This is a short one, but the last post triggered a million memories and this is one.

Alicia was my vice growing up. I loved her all of elementary school. I had already told Jenni Connor I would marry her in 1st Grade, but then I moved. Hos in area codes, amirite?

So in 5th grade, right before the beginning of summer, right before I moved to Magnolia, right before my entire life changed, my family took a road trip.

Luckily I had Pokemon red with me, because it was four hours long. I named my Charmander Alicia, and used her in every battle I could. I never let her die. About halfway through the trip, however, my game boy got duller and duller till the batteries totally died and the screen went blank. I thought about crying, but you can't let my parents see emotions. My dad smells fear and all that.

So for the rest of the trip, literally, I sang Jewel's "You were meant for me," and gazed out the window imagining Alicia's face. How smooth, right? I don't think she and I had talked for years, and that was probably the last time I could remember what she looked like.

1 comment:

lauren said...

Will you marry me? The you that sings Jewel and is as sweet as can be anyway.